Arrow

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Arrow

TV SHOWS

2 posters

wikifoundry issues

T5000
    T5000
    Admin

wikifoundry issues Empty wikifoundry issues

Post by T5000 Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Ok 2nd try lol
    new forum since the wikis are off and on 24 -7
    This one is ok just have to learn how to use it.Mad 
    T5000
    T5000
    Admin

wikifoundry issues Empty Re: wikifoundry issues

Post by T5000 Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:27 pm

I think wikifoundry is going to be messed up for awhile so we can try this site out, it has a learning curve , but some good features.
    tscc1000
    tscc1000

Post by tscc1000 Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:49 pm

T5000 wrote:I think wikifoundry is going to be messed up for awhile ...
    Yeah, it seems totally broken. Still have problems to understand how Travis could mess up an at least somehow working Wetpaint System in such short time without seeming to have any kind of plan B.
    Over at WikiFounry Central they seem to even have given up to complain or post issues, today I saw the first single post since Saturday!!
    On Saturday btw Travis tweeted (or WikiFoundry@Facebook) that he thought he's "close to getting this working again reliably!"
    But imho it doesn't serve the cause to just blame Wetpaint, like they are the cause for the current mess, as some Travis supporters do now:

"Sorry but Wetpaint is the cause to a lot of the problems that we are having now. The servers barely functioned and nothing worked properly. Travis knows what he is doing and is fixing the problems himself."

Seriously????

Also it looks like there are some Travis supporters around, whose basic line is, that we should be grateful for Travis trying his best, becaues if it wasn't him, Wetpaint would shut us down soon. Well, if that were really the alternatives ... we actually just can keep wait and hope ... but for how long??? And who will be there anyway, if this goes on for months??? What, if Travis simply cannot afford more powerful servers or some guys to help? Then probably this was it. I mean, no one would ever consider to pay after the current mess now. And which customers will pay him for their ads, when they are not accessable 90% of the time. It totally looks like a typical circle down ...

Some posts from WikiFoundry Central to show the dilemma:

"It may be weeks, even months, before things are back to the way they used to be when Wetpaint actually actively maintained the platform."

"*raises eyebrows*...months...."

"Would you rather just have Travis abandon us like Wetpaint did and leave us to deteriorate to the point to where the platform is completely unusable? I sure as hell don't."

"Well of course not. I just didn't realize it would take so long. I was under the impression it would be done in a few weeks or so...and then new features may have been added over time."

"The sites are still undergoing changes and this will happen over the next few weeks or so. This is why it is at hit and miss posting.
    Travis is working alone to give members a FREE, workable wiki. He has other commitments as well. If we were with Wetpaint we would have no workable wikis at all in due course. They had stopped maintaining their wikis about 2 years ago and their promises to fix things were all false. Two years we gradually went down hill with them. If it takes a couple of months to takes us back to the top of that hill then so be it. We realize it is difficult and frustrating to be so patient, but such are things as the way they go."

PS: Imho it would actually be a shame, if the "Wetpaint" wikis would go finally down. They for me surely were the ones with the best look and feel I ever saw (despite some issues with the usability, but then we had Eagle's script ;-))
    But ok, hope dies last ... ;-)
    T5000
    T5000
    Admin

Post by T5000 Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:29 am

The best thing about the wetpaint wikis were that you could create a better looking profile page and
    could create additional pages, had a nice photo gallery.
    I think wetpaint sold it cheap, which means they were about to shut it down.
    I think the cost to run it and maintain it might be more than we think.
    The site should have been a direct transfer to the new servers, like making a copy of a hard drive, or cloning a backup.
    Instead it seems when travis copied it , he copied it in parts, and then put those parts on the new server one at a time. that does not seem right to me.
    but all we can do is wait and see what happens. I think it will take a good while though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:01 am